Sunday, April 10, 2011

prompt #6

My girlfriend has a BlackBerry. I have an EnV 2 (best cell phone I've had for my needs). Zack Morris of Saved by the Bell fame had a Motorola Dynatec 8000X. The Dynatec 8000X is a huge phone, roughly the same size as a large sweet tea from McDonald's.

My nephews have an XBox, a Playstation (1, 2 and 3) and a PSP. (I had a Playstation2 years ago, but rarely used it.) I grew up with the third generation, 8-bit Nintendo. Occasionally I hook it up to my 32" TV. My parents own a 50" HD flatscreen. Their current TV dwarfs the TV I grew up with 20 years ago, not only in size, but also in number of channels available.
Number of channels
my TV at 10 years old - 12
my parents current TV - 70+
When I was young TV went off. By that I mean, the National Anthem was played while the American flag waved on the screen then there was a long beep and finally nothing but horizontal lines...on EVERY channel. Not so for the widescreen, flatscreen, plasma, LCD, HD, 3D TV generation.

When I was in grade school and middle school the teacher sat at her (majority of my teachers were female) desk and lectured or wrote on the chalkboard and lectured. Occasionally an overhead projector was used. Classrooms no longer operate in this fashion. Classrooms of the digital generation are equipped with computers and the newest technological device, SmartBoards. My father still has floppy disks with outdated information from when he was an engineer. I have flashdrives, my classmates have flashdrives, my co-workers have flashdrives, my teachers have flashdrives. What information storage device will the pre-k students I taught last year use when they are in middle school/high school/college?        

No comments:

Post a Comment